Definition of Cupping
Cupping is a modified version of the ancient Eastern style cupping which differs by specifically targeting the Musculo-Skeletal system rather than the meridian systems used by traditional Chinese practitioners. It also uses plastic cups and vacuum suction rather than glass cups and a naked flame to create suction. A hand operated vacuum pump is used to induce a vacuum inside a cylinder sealed to the skin by the use of oil or cream. The vacuum “draws” the soft tissue perpendicular to the skin thus providing a tensile force to the soft tissue system, which can be left in one site for a prolonged period or moved along the tissue.
Benefits of Cupping
- Increases nutrient-rich blood supply to injured area
- Increases fluid movement which assists in recovery ie; decreased oedema (fluid accumulation)
- Creates a negative (tensional) pressure which, passively stretches myofascial tissue, resulting in increased ROM (Range Of Motion)
- Assist in reduction of localized inflammation and aids recovery
- Breaks Up and Expels Congestion
- Ideal for people for whom the insertion of acupuncture needles poses a problem or risk.
Who may benefit from Cupping
- Individuals with Musculo-Skeletal Pain & Injuries
- Sporting Injuries, especially ITB Syndrome & Plantar Fasciitis
- Neck and Back Pain
- Muscle Strains and Sprains
- Muscle Imbalances and Tightness
Is Cupping safe?
Cupping is generally safe for use on most people, however there are some contraindications that may prevent the use of cupping, such as:
- History of vascular disease such as DVT or Varicose veins
- Pregnant women on lower abdominal region and back
- Any bleeding, internal or external
- Open wounds or Sensitive/fragile skin
- Young children
- Recent operation
- Heart problems
- Blood thinning medications
Request a Booking
Your appointment request will be confirmed by Soula as soon as possible (sometimes a slight adjustment to requested time may be required in order to confirm – to allow booking buffer time or practitioner breaks).
If you can’t find the time you want, or are looking to come in within the next 6 hours: Phone on 0412 091 390 (the online system only displays adjacent booking times + you cannot book online within 6hrs – but I may find a time for you!).
If it’s your first time to Soula’s Massage please select “Initial Consult”.